Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Wars of the Vamps

Ever since Twilight there has been a flurry of vamp novels!

I for one, have never been happier. I love anything vampy, I admit. I am a closet geek in the way of vampire-ness. I saw Twilight at the movies when it came out with my husband and loved it, I then bought all the books and read them in one crazy fortnight! They were good, very good, and I couldn't put them down, but by the end, I wanted to smash Bella. There was very little character development and growth with her and it read a little like fanfiction- like everything the author wanted to make happen for her, she did. A bit of tough love would have been good!

A few weeks ago I came across the vampire Beach novels by Alex Duvall. They were in Big W right near the Twlight books, and um, the covers of them, colour etc, were soo similar, and as I am a consumer (it's not my fault it's how I'm programed to function ha ha) I bought it. I didn't like it. I could see what the author was trying to do, take the vamps out of there cold misery and place them in a warm beachy climate, but to be honest it was all very OC/90210 like and not at all Lost Boy-like like I thought it would be. Nothing about the book made a lasting impression. Nothing.

Maybe a week later I was in Big W again and a red book caught my eye. Evernight by Claudia Gray. It was once again, about vamps in a school, very angsty, but not set in the Cali sun thank god. 100 pages in, it was good, but nothing spectacular. All of a sudden, it got good, really good! I was hooked. I have looked everywhere for the sequal, Stargazer.. have not located yet...

When I was trying to locate the sequel last Thursday when I was sick, I meandered into target and located the Vampire Academy books. There were three. I picked up the first somewhat skeptical because the name seemed soo cheesy!! But I took it home and started reading. I think maybe 50 pages was all it took. H O O K E D ! OMG, AWESOME characters, setting, violence, sex, bad language, unrequinted love... this book seriously stirred something inside me! I mean, it was not earth shattering but I think it will be forever set as one of my personal "cult pop media faves"
I think the turning point for me is when I actually want to be one of the characters.. I wanted to be Rose pretty bad!!
Now since I have read all three books in the series in 6 days i have to wait until AUGUST for the next one!! and PRAY and HOPE it is popular enough to warrent a movie! They have my vote! Make a movie out of Vampire Academy PLEASE :-)











2 comments:

Pauline said...

If you like vampire stuff, have you seen the tv-series "True Blood"? It's awsome! You can download it from any torrent site. First season is complete and second will start to air (in the US) in June I think. Warmly recommend it. I was hooked!!

Danielle said...

oohh yeah i have seen the books! I might download it, thanks xx